Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year, New Choices



Nothing can make fruits and vegetables seem as appetizing as weeks of rich, holiday food. The simplicity of healthy eating seems so inviting in comparison with that heavy feeling of holiday dinners. This year, I'm committing myself to trying various new healthy recipes and adapting old recipes to be more healthy. I've created this blog as a way of logging the various recipes that I make so that I can remember which ones I like, which ones flopped, and the recipes that were just mediocre. I love to cook but also enjoy entertaining. I have to admit that, when entertaining, I tend to throw my "healthy cooking" out the window and make things that I know will be delicious (which also equals fattening). It is my goal to make healthy eating a lifestyle that I can also share with others while entertaining. I'll also share fun family events and news along the way.





Day 1: Mediterranean Chicken with Rice and Hummus (pictured above)
This recipe is reminiscent of a my favorite dish at a wonderful little Lebanese restaurant in Rochester Hills, MI. This recipe is delicious and includes a full serving of veggies.
  • 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1 (7 oz.) container hummus
  • 2 cups cooked long grain rice

1. Combine tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and next 6 ingredients. Set aside.

2. Pound chicken breast to 1/2 in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat remaining olive oil in skillet. Cook chicken over medium to high heat 8-10 min. on each side or until done.

3. Spread 1/2 cup cooked rice on each place. Top rice with 1/4 of the hummus and one chicken breast. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment